Monday, November 7, 2011

Laying Down my Weapons

Stomping off, slamming doors, ugly looks, huffing and puffing. A common scene some weeks at my house. My discipline at times is meet with all the drama. There's fighting back. It's normally not the first offense nor my first correction that brings about such a struggle. I notice that it's the times where the offense was personal; messing up my newly cleaned floors, throwing my schedule off or hurting my ego in public.

I just want the behavior to change. I want the perfection that I'm guilty of expecting. The disobedience has been done, the unforgiving punishment yelled out. We've learned how to battle, throwing just the right darts. My darts can grudgingly produce a new behavior.  

But then in the quiet moments that the war is over I hear it...

{If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?}Psalm 130:2a

Have I forgotten my own vile sins?
{But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared}Psalm 130:2b

Lord, I only want her to fear you!

{For with the Lord is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption}Psalm 130:7

God, help me freely offer forgiveness.

Encouragement comes at just the right time.  Were it not for His kindness drawing me, oh the grip sin would have on me.  Were it not for His mercy, I would never have a beautiful redemption story for my own.

Oh Lord, keep me from letting my floors or my time be grounds for war;  rather lessons in repentance. I lay down my weapons and cling to your mercy.

I'm linking to Women Living Well

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, parenting is such way to expose our sin isn't it? Oh, my I'm learning so much of my selfishness {my schedules, routines, preferences and on and on}. You have great perspective :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the daily battles at my home. Great post! Parenting for me has been like a mirror reflecting my own sins back to me. So thankful for His grace and forgiveness! Visiting from WLW.

    ReplyDelete