Monday, February 11, 2013

The Role I Play in Adoption


It’s been so encouraging to see believers responding to the cry of the orphan this last decade. My husband and I have felt the James 1:27 call on our lives. We’ve been blessed to adopt four precious children into our family. And let me tell you, they are PRECIOUS!

The stories of our four are all different but all equally sad. Like many others, their lives were laced with abandonment, chaos, and hopelessness. Our children needed rescuing.  In fact, 153 million orphans need rescuing. Adopting is risky, it’s uncomfortable at times, but it’s missional, fulfilling the great commission each morning around the breakfast table. It’s such a beautiful sight to see Lady Gaga lyrics being replaced with Seeds Family Worship songs. It’s incredible what a proper haircut and grooming can do to an already gorgeous child. The transformations our little ones have gone through has left me in awe most of the time. Pride swells in me when I think that I gave a baby a new lease on life and brought hope to such a dark little life. They have a new page in their story being written!

My sinful self seems to forget too often that I’m not the super hero in the story. Though the Maker of heaven and earth chose for me to be a part of this glorious tale, I am not the heroine. No new clothes, no hours of book reading, no extra goodnight kiss can ever be enough to ultimately rescue my child or any orphan.

Just because my kids now know church lingo and have beautiful Sunday clothes, it doesn’t mean that they’re completely rescued. I cannot be my adopted child’s savior; Jesus is. He is the one who sacrificed all to bring them true hope. Though I do nurture my babies and lead them in the way they should go, I am not their redemption. I am simply a means that God is using to write their redemptive story. Jesus is the main character and I am simply a shadow on the page getting a front row seat to see an eternal transformation. 

 What a comfort this reminder can be on days where I am hitting a brick wall and the sanctification doesn't happen as quickly as I'd like.  I'm so thankful that Jesus is the super hero on days when I am much less than a loving and patient mom.

So may I not mistake a clean set of clothes and a home that says the blessing before every meal as their salvation. God’s plan is much bigger than just that for their lives. Feeding, teaching and loving them is just social justice without the gospel applied to their lives. And may I pray without ceasing for the hearts of my children that they would be stirred up to reality that there is One who went to incredible lengths to rescue them. The temporal comforts that we give in our home aren’t their happy ending but a means to set the stage to see God’s handiwork in their lives. He is their fairy tale ending, not me.


No comments:

Post a Comment